Friday, February 27, 2009

Kip's Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies

I got this recipe from my my friend Kip. In his words: "It's kind of a nice variation on your standard chocolate chip cookie. It's a soft cookie rather than a crispy one. And I like the somewhat subtle banana flavoring. By the way, I don't usually make the frosting for these cookies. They are good enough by themselves. But if you think they need some extra sweetness, go ahead. Of course, I like to tell myself that because there is banana in these cookies, they must be healthy."
INGREDIENTS:
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup shortening (Crisco butter flavor is my favorite)
2 eggs (can use Ener-G egg replacer)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup mashed bananas (2 or 3 medium very ripe bananas)
2 ½ cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 package (6-oz) chocolate chips

DIRECTIONS:
  1. Beat together sugar and shortening until fluffy.
  2. Blend in eggs and vanilla, mixing well.
  3. Add mashed bananas alternately with mixture of flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda; mix well.
  4. Stir in chocolate chips.
  5. Drop by rounded teaspoons onto lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees. for about 10 minutes. Cool on rack.
  6. Makes 3-4 dozen soft cookies. If desired, top with frosting.
Frosting:

1 stick butter or margarine, softened
1 package. confectioner’s sugar (4 cups)
Dash of salt
Milk (may use goat milk)
1 teaspoon vanilla

Beat butter, sugar, and salt until thoroughly blended. Add milk (about 1/4 cup) and vanilla. Add more milk as needed.

No comments: