Sunday, January 3, 2010

Michelle's Corn Bread

This is yummo! I made up my own corn bread recipe a while back, but this beats it hands down. My old recipe tastes more like yellow cake, and this recipe tastes like the corn bread I remember being served at Frontier Pies (they've since gone out of business where I live). It's sweet, dense, and delicious! It also worked well with my substitutes for my allergic kid.
INGREDIENTS:

1 cup butter, melted
1 1/3 cup sugar
4 eggs, beaten (I used the Ener-G Egg Replacer)
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups buttermilk (for my allergic kid, I used 2 cups goat milk + 2 tablespoons lemon juice, let it sit for 5 minutes before incorporating into the recipe)
2 cups yellow corn meal
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS:
  1. Melt butter.
  2. Combine flour, cornmeal, and salt. Stir well.
  3. In a separate bowl, combine melted butter and sugar.
  4. In a 4 cup glass measuring cup, combine the 2 cups of buttermilk and 1 teaspoon of baking soda. Set aside.
  5. Add eggs to the butter and sugar mixture. Stir. Add buttermilk mixture to egg and sugar mixture. Stir.
  6. With a wooden spoon add flour/cornmeal/salt to wet ingredients. Stir until just combined. The mixture should be lumpy.
  7. Bake in a preheated 350 oven for 30-40 minutes.

No comments: