Saturday, December 5, 2009

Roberta's Rolls


Thanks to my friend Jody of Something Good for writing this all down for me :-). Roberta is my mother and she makes the best rolls. Due to my kiddo's egg allergies, it may be a while before I make these (like when I'm totally bored and have nothing else to do OR he's on his mission or something). Anyhow, I had to copy Jody's post to put in my blog for posterity. The photo is from Jody :-). Thanks, again, Jody!
INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup really warm water
1 Tb sugar
2 Tb active dry yeast

Mix this together in small bowl--set aside for at least 5 min. or until nice and foamy.

2 cups scalded milk
1 cube butter-cut into pieces
1/2 cup
3 beaten eggs
2 tsp salt
7 1/4 cups flour (give or take)

In microwave scald milk for 3 to 5 min. Pour hot milk in your mixer attached with dough hook and add cut up butter. Allow butter to melt. Add beaten eggs and 2 cups flour, mix then add yeast mixture scraping the sides. Add 1 cup flour and salt mix, then gradually add additional flour. Total cups of flour about 7 1/2 cups. Beat until well incorporated. The dough will be pretty sticky. That's normal. If it looks a too soupy, sticky you can add no more than 1/2 cup to 1 cup more flour especially if you live in an area with high humidity.

Remove dough and place in a large well oiled bowl, cover and let rise 2 hours. If you have the time, you can add an extra hour.

Punch down dough and dump onto lightly floured counter. Prepare into desired roll shape. Lightly dust with flour when needed. Be careful not to add to much flour or your rolls won't turn out as light and fluffy as they should be.

Let rolls rise on pans until double in size. A good hour.

Bake at 420 degrees for 7-9 minutes. Or until they are nice and brown on top. The most important step is to brush each roll with melted butter after they are baked. Don't hold back!*

3 comments:

something good said...

I'm honored to be a part of your families roll legacy! I wish my mom would convert! Her rolls are just rolls--Roberta's are heavenly!

Now about the bread, yes I made it and have to say it was so good. It's been my go to recipe when I don't have all the ingreds. for my whole wheat bread recipe. It's also not as expensive as mine! Thanks for sharing!

something good said...

One more thing. I made the candied almonds-but used walnuts instead--and all I can say is--TO DIE FOR!

Thanks a lot, I ate about 60 grams of fat last night, maybe more, but it was worth it! So excited to wow some friends for Christmas!
Thanks again!

michelle said...

Was just looking at this to give to a friend... not sure if Jody’s has the same error I will need to check but this recipe is missing 1/2 c sugar that you add to the scalded milk and butter. Also wait for it to cool down before adding eggs :)